This advanced training provides an in-depth description of 5G New Radio (NR) technology as defined by 3GPP standards and specifications. It also covers the concepts of IoT technology and the various 5G network use cases. Starting with a background on the 5G requirements, standardization, and the ecosystem development and construction plan, the training presents end-to-end 5G systems, including NG-RAN and 5G Core architecture, and radio interface protocol structure.
The training includes a detailed description of the physical layer, including time and frequency resource structure, channelization, scheduling, numerologies, and features of Release 16 and Release 17. The following module explains the procedure of DL/UL synchronization for mobile devices. Considering that 5G NR was developed on the same technological foundations as the existing 4G, the module provides a comparative analysis of the two technologies which are sure to coexist for a while.
Module 1: 5G Concept and Use Cases
- What is 5G?
- 5G potential
- 5G use cases: eMBB, URLLC, mMTC
- 3GPP position with 5G
- 5G services and requirements for industry verticals
Module 2: 5G New Radio (5G NR)
- What is 5G spectrum?
- What are 5G frequency bands?
- What is 5G NR?
- New 5G technologies
- Massive MIMO
- 5G beamforming
Module 3: 5G End-to-End Architecture
- 5G radio architecture
- Standalone vs. Non-Standalone architectures
- 5G deployment options
- 4G to 5G migration strategies
- 5G core architecture
- Network Slicing
Module 4: 5G Design and Key Radio Functionalities
- 5G NR Physical Layer
- Numerology and frame structure
- Physical channels design and structures
- Introduction to 5G capacities
- QoS architecture in 5G NR
Module 5: 5G Physical Layer and Design
- Comparison between 4G and 5G channels
- 5G DL channel design and comparison with 4G
- PDCCH CORESET concept
- 5G UL channels and comparison with 4G
- 5G reference signals
Module 6: Beamforming and Initial Access
- 5G NR Initial Access
- SS Burst principle
- Beam management in NR (BeamSweeping, BeamMeasurement)
- Initial Beam establishment
- Beam management SA and NSA
Module 7: 3GPP Features of R16 and R17
- 3GPP planning for R16 and R17
- Key subjects in Releases 16 and 17
- Industrial IoT features
- Other verticals features
- Network deployment and automation features
- Device enhancements
Module 8: Internet of Things – IoT
- Definition of IoT LPWA networks
- IoT technologies: Nb-IoT, LTE-M, Lora
- Different kinds of IoT devices
- IoT use cases
- Evolution of IoT technologies to 5G
After completing the modules, each user takes the test to receive a certificate.